Sunday, May 22, 2011

Find Joy Everyday

Happy Sunday! Today's project is one that I have been trying to find time to do for a while now. Before Easter, Wal-Mart had these little mailboxes for $3. My 2 1/2 year old, Bria, LOVES opening mail and when I showed her these little mailboxes she was so excited!


 I asked her how she would like me to decorate it for her and she told me she wanted a baby deer (why a baby deer I have no idea...) and I went with it! It was the perfect opportunity for me to try out my new cloud stamp I purchased from Pink By Design a little while ago. I did't have a LOT of time to dedicate to the mailbox but I wanted to come up with something cute Bria would like... I also saw the latest Let's Face it Friday Challenge on the Peachy Keen blog and thought this was the perfect opportunity to take on this project.



I thought this sentiment suited this project perfectly. Bria is such a happy little girl and it's so important to me that as she grows up she continues to find joy in every day. My plan is to use this mailbox to give Bria little notes and treats when she is being a good girl. Something for her to get excited about each day! :)


So here are my details...
- mailbox was $3 at wal-mart
- I used my Pink By Design Cloudy Day background stamp to make the cloud background paper. When I bought this stamp I planned on using it for the backgrounds on A2 sized cards but I found out it is actually super easy to match up to make large backgrounds with! I am a total rookie stamper and this background turned out great! None of my pics show but the cloud background wraps all the way around the mailbox. I used a Ditto ink pad I picked up for a really good sale price at Michaels. It made an AWESOME look combined with the cloud stamp.
-  the deer was cut @ 2.5" from Create A Critter, I used the Peachy Keen Character Face Parts for the little face on the deer.
- the flower stems are also cut (not sure which size and I deleted it from my gypsy...) from Create A Critter but I cut off the flower shapes and added my own flowers from my stash
- butterfly is cut at 1" from Create A Critter
- I made the grass by using the grass from Paper Doll Dressup, copied it and then mirrored it. I used a rectangle shape from Gypsy Wanderings and customized the dimensions (5.5"x6"), then welded the grass to the rectangle. I cut another piece like this but made it 1/2" longer so that when I taped the grass down it would overlap the other layer of grass. I inked the grass using Vintage Photo ink by Tim Holtz
- the frame around the sentiment on the lid of the mailbox was cut from Storybook at 1.5", the bottom layer was stamped with the same Pink By Design cloud background stamp. Sentiment 'Find Joy Everyday' is from Pink By Design Enjoy the Journey set (I LOVE this set!!)
- ribbon around edges is from the Dollarstore and was glued using a hot glue gun
- Doodles with my white Gelly Roll pen for finishing touches!

I am also entering this project into the Challenge Me Monday Challenge at Fantabulous Cricut.
I hope you like it! I would have loved to spend more time and really make it detailed but it IS going directly into the hands of a destructive little 2.5 year old, so I didn't want to go too overboard! :) Hope everyone's having an awesome weekend!!

12 comments:

Jessica Buffa said...

The mailbox is darling. You did a great job. My little Ariana has a thing about deer, too. But her "fetish" stems from a spoon I bought for her and it went from there. Smilez

HappyPlaceJen said...

Adorable mailbox! Love the details you gave the deer scene. :) ~ Jen http://happyplaceforjen.blogspot.com/

Glora said...

Wow, what a sweet Mom you are! This is the perfect idea. Little ones LOVE mail and her own special mailbox. How awesome is that? I absolutely LOVE the way you decorated it. That sweet little deer scene is just too cute. Amazing job! Hugs - Glora

Sherry said...

What a sweet idea. I may try to find some of those little mail boxes and decoupage them so they could go outside and have my husband mount them on a pole so they can go out by our front porch like our mailbox, for my two youngest. They would think that was so awesome to come home and have mail of their own. Thanks for sharing.
Sherry

Jayne said...

Great mailbox.Cute deer,it looks lovely.

Jessica Buffa said...

Candace, the clipboards are really fairly easy to make, too. Took a little while, but you know how it is running back and forth with little ones. Once you return to craft, sometimes you forget where you left off.
Smilez,
Jessica

Tanya~Studio 5380 said...

What a sweet little scene you have created! I know your daughter is enjoying having her very own mailbox...too cute!

Kim said...

that little deer is the cutest! thanks for sharing

Adrian said...

so adorable, great job stitching!

Miss Giebel said...

So cute, I love this little dear!! It's so charming!! I'm so glad you created with us this week!!

Lisa Norris said...

This is just so stinkin' cute! Thanks so much for playing along with us at FCCB!

Lisa
http://prettypaperprettyribbons.blogspot.com

Maquel said...

So so cute!! I just love it! Thanks for joining us this week at FCCB!!

Maquel
http://papermaineiac.blogspot.com